Saturday, January 5, 2008

While I travel...

Hello Everyone,

How is everyone? I hope everyone had the greatest Christmas and are enjoying the brand new year! I have definitely been enjoying my holiday time.

It has been a while since I have been able to update everyone about where I have been, what I have been doing, and what my next adventure will be.

Currently I am in Krakow, Poland staying at a very nice hostel hanging out with loads of new people from all over the world. Way back at the beginning of December back in Salzburg, I finished up exams and then I started my holiday travels.

December 14th around 8:00 at night, three friends and I headed out on our flights to Cairo, Egypt. We had the greatest time ever spending 3 nights in Cairo seeing the pyramids, eating Falafels, and riding Camels. We then took a 10 hour bus ride to South Sinai and ended up in Dahab for 4 nights. We spend these days snorkeling in the Red Sea, laying out by the sea enjoying our view of Saudi Arabia's mountains, watching the sun rise over those mountains, meeting more and more people from all over the world, and just relaxing. After a very short week, Ellen, Esther, Annika, and I were sad to leave but headed back up to European soil.

After spending a night in Salzburg and another in the Munich Airport, Ellen and I flew out again to our next destination, Greece. Arriving Christmas Eve, we just hung out at our hostel talking to our new British friends. We explored Athens a little Christmas morning, but were able to enjoy a very nice Christmas lunch of turkey and Greek cookies at our hostel. It was great company and very enjoyable. Then came the 26th and the best Christmas present arrived...SUSAN!! After her long flight, we dove right into exploring Athens and walked around the city. The next day Susan and I took a side trip to the small town of Olympia, several hours by bus west of Athens. We were able to spend a very relaxing time seeing the old Olympic track, learning all the ancient history of the Olympics, and taking very fun photos! We ended the night with an easy train ride back to Athens. Our last day in Athens was rather beautiful and we enjoyed the day by seeing the Acropolis, standing on a huge 'rock', and walking by the Mediterranean Sea watching crazy people swimming in the freezing cold water. After an unforgettable and unpleasant metro ride to the Airport, we left Greece behind and are unsure if we will ever return.

Luckily, once Susan and I landed in Munich, we felt much more comfortable about our surroundings and enjoyed settling in to nice beds at my host family's house. The last two days Susan was able to spend with me we tried to see everything that Salzburg has to offer. We saw the Sound of Music sites, met some people from Iowa, looked out at Salzburg from the famous fortress, tried different cafes, and even caught a Marionette show of Hansel and Gretel. Two days were not enough time, but we got done as much as we could manage. Off to Munich we went for new year's eve, met a really nice couple who just got engaged and were from Boston, and then saw loads of unorganized fireworks in the city center. We spent the new year talking to three new people we met in the city square and then caught some shut eye in the airport. It was then time to say good-bye to Susan. It was not fun to say bye, but nothing lasts forever and I will see everyone soon!!

After hanging out in Munich a while longer, I headed up to Prague. I met up with an Australian and saw the sites him. Then a friend from Salzburg was in town and we went out for a way too expensive meal at the 'Blue Bar.' Jocelyn, our new friend, Jay, and I were totally robbed at this place...they charged us FIVE US DOLLARS for TWO HANDFULS of potato chips that they had ON THE TABLE. I have to say I had to best hot chocolate there, but they ripped us off. My last day in Prague I spent with Jay and Reed, two guys from the States and then we heading to Krakow together. We arrived here in Poland this morning and saw Auschwitz and the old town today.

Soon I will be heading to Belgium and then the Netherlands for a while. It has been a crazy few weeks and I have been having LOADS of fun.

I hope everyone else is well and enjoying life WHEREVER you may be!!

Pictures will be coming sometime, but probably not before January 25th.

Spaeter!!

DANA

No comments: