Monday, April 21, 2008

Its All Coming To An End

After Miriam's Amazing performance before hitting the dance floor.
Cameron finally decides to dance!
The Macerana...who knew it was still such a rocking dancing song?
Beautiful Salzburg via bikes...Me, Kris, and Will enjoying the sun!
Me taking a photo of myself while riding my bike through a heavily wooded beautiful area!
This pretty face is my roommate, Brooke. After a long day full of writing papers, we were ready for a change of scenery. So, needless to say we dressed up before heading over for a rockin night of SUSHI MAKING!
Yes, we decided we were going to be twins.
Brooke, Cameron, and Me...this is either the third or fifteenth picture out of about thirty!
Our sweetie, Joycie-Woycie!! She loves us!
Me and my awesome egg roll I made all by myself!
The wonderful art of Sushi making. Brooke, Joyce, and Alice were pros! I don't think I did too bad??
SUSHI! Cameron rigged up some great tuna fish with sesame seeds and then we rolled it up with avocados...so tasty and good.
We're so ready to eat!! I think we had over 160 rolls or rice balls to choose from. We even brought out the chop-sticks and I finally can manage to bring food to my mouth with them!! Needless to say, it did take a few tries!
Please, Cameron, I want some more. After all our super tasting sushi, we enjoyed this amazing ice cream concoction with a Berry Flambe sauce. SO GOOD!

Hallo Hallo!

How are you all? I hope the weather is finally becoming nice and the sun is shining! It has been super here lately and I have been able to play some Frisbee, go bike riding, and not wear fourteen layers of clothes!

Well, believe it or not, my year abroad will end next week. I can not imagine that I will not be living here in Salzburg anymore. I have really made a lot of memories, met so many amazing friends, and have enjoyed all of my time spent here in Europe. It wasn't always easy, but it was always unforgettable.

Before I say good-bye to Austria, I have been trying to make the most of my time! As I told you all about that last time I wrote, I had a great weekend about two weeks ago. Since then I have been again really busy with papers and school, but have found time to have fun also.

Two weekends ago some of my friends from the college and I played a rough game of Ultimate Frisbee and then some soccer with my host brother and his friends. He was having a birthday party, so we got to be beaten by ten year old boys in Soccer! That weekend I also went to a Women's Brunch with all the ladies of the church. I made my Caramel Apple Coffee Cake again and Brooke took some veggies, and we all had a super time.

The rest of that weekend entailed resting, going to church, watching some movies, and just getting ready for another busy week ahead of us.

Last week I went to my Hip-Hop dance class and learned some awesome new moves. Then Brooke and I had Bible Study on Wednesday night. We are doing a series on the Lord's Prayer and taking a line from it every week. This past week was "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us." We try to understand the full meaning of each line and decide upon a practical thing we all can do during the next week. Bible study has been a great time for me to get together with friends, talk about life, and grow in Faith.

On Thursday the 17th, Cameron had a friend, Will, visiting him, and Brooke, Kris, and I had a free afternoon to take him around the beautiful Salzburg. We rode bikes down our 'sketchy path' (its just a narrow SAFE path) and we headed to Hellbrunn. It was a wonderful day out and we just kept biking all afternoon. We went through Hellbrunn, by the Zoo, down some back bike ways, through some hidden woods, and then back into the heart of Salzburg to play some ping-pong.

Later on Thursday, Miriam was playing her horn in a Bernstein Project her school was performing. She was able to get some of us free tickets and I was able to go watch her play. It was a great performance, especially one piece from West Side Story. The performance included an encore and audience involvement!

After the performance, Miriam's school was having an after party get together there at the college. So, we all stuck around to check out the fun. It just so happened that they had a great DJ playing and sooner or later we were all out busting a move again. Cameron had been telling me for several months we would go dancing. Finally we got to Salsa together and Miriam, Brooke, Joyce, Cameron, Will, and I all had a wonderful fun (but late) night.

Friday was another gorgeous day, and after class, most of our college got together for some serious Frisbee playing. For three hours we spend out on the field tearing it up! The rest of the night was rather relaxing with Kris, Rachel, Caitlin, Brooke, and I just enjoying some episodes of Gilmore Girls.

Saturday came bright and early and Brooke and I quickly got to work on our papers. We worked all day with a break at noon to help our host dad make Topfen Knudeln. These cheese ball things are my favorite food here and I can't wait to make them at home!

I was nearly done with my paper and Brooke was halfway there, but we were worn out. We were going to go make sushi with the gang at Cameron's that night and to make it even more fun, we just had to dress up. Before we knew it, we were putting on some crazy clothes, masking our face with make-up and getting hyped up after a long day of working on papers.

We left the house in our great attire, only to be stopped by our family so they could take some photos. When we arrived at Cameron's place, his expression was priceless! He just couldn't grasp what we were up to! We just needed some excitement and were feeling the crazy clothes.

Starting at 6 pm, Miriam directed us around the kitchen and we spent the next 3 hours conjuring up some amazing sushi. We had vegetable sushi with cucumbers, carrots, and peppers. We had some mushroom and shrimp ones and Cameron got some great Tunafish that he seared with sesame seeds on each side, keeping the middle raw, that we rolled up with avocados. I also made a really neat sweet egg roll, that is simply a sweet egg mixture that you cook like an omelet and continually roll the cooked bits up together.

Finally around 9:30, Brooke, Cameron, Miriam, Joyce, Alice, Levy, Lisa, and I sat down to eat up some 160 or so sushi rolls that we made all by ourselves. Every roll was wonderful tasting, even the ones with fish. We dipped the rolls in soy sauce or Wasabi, a super hot sauce that has a bite to it. Before we knew it, our sushi was gone. It tasted all so great and the night was amazingly fun.

The rest of the evening we cleaned up and hung out until Cameron decided we needed ice cream and an amazing berry sauce to go with it. He made us a great dessert that tasted and looked wonderful. The evening was so just so much fun!!

Eventually we all did leave, and the next morning came pretty soon. Brooke and I went to church, enjoyed coffee hour, and then headed home to work on our papers. We worked for a couple of hours before Joyce, Miriam, Cameron, Brooke, and I decided to enjoy the rest of the beautiful spring day outside. We made it to Helbrunn and spent the rest of the afternoon throwing the Frisbee around barefoot in the soft green grass.

The rest of Sunday night was again spent in our rooms finishing our papers. Brooke and I both finished our Economics one, but I still have a fifteen pager yet to go! That is my next project.

The last two weeks have been loads of fun and I am sad to say I only have two more. I hope you all have been enjoying my posts and like looking at my photos. It has been fun sharing my stories!

Hab eine schoene Woche!
Bis bald,
Dana

No comments: